Commonly referred to as the BI Platform, and recently renamed Business Analytics Platform (BA Platform), makes up the core software piece that hosts content created both in the server itself through plug-ins or files published to the server from the desktop applications. It includes features for managing security, running reports, displaying dashboards, report bursting, scripted business rules, OLAP analysis and scheduling out of the box.
Commercial plug-ins from Pentaho expand out-of-the-box features. A few open-source plug-in projects also expand capabilities of the server. The Pentaho BA Platform runs in the Apache Java Application Server. It can be embedded into other Java Application Servers.
In computing, extract, transform, and load (ETL) refers to a process in database usage and especially in data warehousing that:
Extracts data from outside sources
Transforms it to fit operational needs, which can include quality levels
Loads it into the end target (database, more specifically, operational data store, data mart, or data warehouse)
ETL systems are commonly used to integrate data from multiple applications, typically developed and supported by different vendors or hosted on separate computer hardware. The disparate systems containing the original data are frequently managed and operated by different employees. For example a cost accounting system may combine data from payroll, sales and purchasing.
In management information systems, a dashboard is "an easy to read, often single page, real-time user interface, showing a graphical presentation of the current status (snapshot) and historical trends of an organization’s key performance indicators to enable instantaneous and informed decisions to be made at a glance.
In computing, online analytical processing, or OLAP /ˈoʊlæp/, is an approach to answering multi-dimensional analytical (MDA) queries swiftly. OLAP is part of the broader category of business intelligence, which also encompasses relational database, report writing and data mining. Typical applications of OLAP include business reporting for sales, marketing, management reporting, business process management (BPM), budgeting and forecasting, financial reporting and similar areas, with new applications coming up, such as agriculture. The term OLAP was created as a slight modification of the traditional database term Online Transaction Processing ("OLTP")
Microsoft Dynamics NAV is an enterprise resource planning (ERP) software product from Microsoft.
OEbif the Open Enterprise bi framework with Palo, Pentaho and SpagoBI.
NAVIX for Kettle / Pentaho ™
With the model developed by proconis Navision ™ Connector NAVIX get its first opportunity to access your Navision ™ databases without detours or performance bottlenecks. It does not matter if your data is in a Microsoft SQL Server ™ or in a Navision ™ database.
driver for an ETL product. The driver is called NaviX for Pentaho / Kettle
List of Available Pentaho Data Integration Plug-Ins
These mini flash demos (based on older versions) contain no sound, just text, but are useful as well:
We will try to create more micro-demos like this, feel free to suggest topics in the comments.
- Create a new transformation - create a step (flash demo, 0'20")
- Create a hop between 2 steps (flash demo, 0'20")
- Create a database connection (flash demo, 0'45")
- Read a CSV file (flash demo, 1 minute 0'20")
- Write to a database table (flash demo, 1'00")
- Name and describe a transformation (flash demo, 0'40")
- Execute a transformation (flash demo, 1'20")
- Debug a transformation (flash demo, 1'00")
Here are a few links to get you started:
Feel free to suggest more links for this area.
- The Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle) Tutorial
- Simple Flash demo showing how to load a text file into a database
- The Spoon user documentation
- An index to the documentation of the Pentaho Data Integration Steps
- An index to the documentation of the Pentaho Data Integration Job Entries
- Install Pentaho Data Integration (a.k.a. Kettle) in Ubuntu
Quick Start and Overview
- Pentaho Data Integration Home Page (News, Downloads, Forums, Bug tracking etc.)
- Getting Started
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Pentaho Data Integration Case Studies
- Pentaho Data Integration Recorded Demos
- Pentaho Data Integration Screenshots
- Pentaho Data Integration Articles
- Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle) Tutorial
- Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle) Concepts, Best Practices and Solutions
- Pentaho InfoCenter (User Guides, Tutorials and Walkthroughs, Installation and Upgrade, Administrator and Developer Guides)
- Pentaho Big Data
- Spoon User Guide
- Pentaho Data Integration Steps
- Pentaho Data Integration Job Entries
- Pan User Documentation
- Kitchen User Documentation
- Carte User Documentation
- Marketplace / List of Available Pentaho Data Integration Plug-Ins
- Feature checkboxes
- The Thin Kettle JDBC driver
- Job checkpoints and restartability
- Database transactions in jobs and transformations
- Please see the Pentaho Infocenter for more information about 'New Features for Pentaho Data Integration'
- Pentaho Data Integration 4 Cookbook
- Pentaho Kettle Solutions- Building Open Source ETL Solutions with Pentaho Data Integration
- Pentaho 3.2 Data Integration- Beginner's Guide
- Pentaho Solutions: Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing with Pentaho and MySQL
- Special database issues and experiences
- Special Operating System issues and experiences
- Kettle Exchange (share tips & tricks and utilities)
- Data Quality Integration
- Recent versions: see the PDI Upgrade Guide in the InfoCenter Installation and Upgrade Guides
- Pentaho Data Integration 3.0 migration guide
- What's new in PDI version 3.1
- What's new in PDI version 3.2
- What's new in PDI version 4.0
- For more recent versions, please see Pentaho's Infocenter
- Adding Ivy Support and Project Restructure (since Jan 2013)
- PDI SDK: see "Embedding and Extending Pentaho Data Integration" within the Developer Guides.
- PDI Developer information
- Pentaho Data Integration - Java API Examples
- Writing your own Pentaho Data Integration Plug-In
- Black Box Testing
- Get the Source Code
- Proposed Kettle Dependency Management
- Monitoring SWT Graphics Resources with Sleak
- Product Management for Pentaho Data Integration
- Detailed road map, change log, issues and much more for Pentaho Data Integration (JIRA)