Monday, September 10, 2012

Confirmed users on facebook are stupid - lazy - uncheck status scam

So many hoaxes have been spread on facebook .And the users on facebook keeps sharing and recycling scams.

http://www.jonloomer.com/2011/12/28/hover-over-my-name/

The link shows that the status message scam was noticed on September 23 ,2011 and it is still spreading on facebook 
 Facebook Scare: Uncheck Comments and Likes

latest scam message shared 1 hour AGO


To all my contacts, friends, I request from you, that with the recent changes in FB, now anyone can see things from people who are not in your contacts list. Just because a contact of yours makes a comment or "likes" in some activity of that person. I do not want unknown people to contact me, and would like that they do not read and see all my comments and stuff, but I can not change this myself because facebook has configured it this way. But you can do it for me. PLEASE place your mouse over my name above (do not click), a window will appear and move the mouse on "Friends" (also without clicking), then down to "Settings", click here and a list will appear. Click "Comments and Like" and it would thereby remove the CHECK. By doing this my activity amongst my friends and my family does not become public. A Thousand Thanks! Paste this on your wall for your contacts, if you care about your privacy!!!
Remember - it's easy...hover over my name, hover over friends, click on settings and click on comments & likes (which will remove the check mark). Thanks! and pass it on.

http://www.facebook.com/pamela.thomas.965/posts/3686973299543
http://www.facebook.com/comics.by.arslan/posts/275780812532997

Variation of the scam message


A request from me to you: With the recent changes in FB, now one can see updates and photos from people who are not in your contacts list. It is just because a contact of yours "likes" or "comments" on some activity of that person. I do not want unknown people to contact me, and would prefer that they do not read and see all my status updates and photos and stuff. I cannot change this myself because Facebook has configured it this way. But you can do it for me....
1. Please place your mouse over my name above (do not click)
2. A window will appear and move the mouse on "Friends" (also without clicking), then down to "Settings"
3. Click here and a list will appear
4. Click EVERYTHING except "Life Events", "Status Updates" & "Photos", thereby removing the "tick" on these.
By doing this all my activity amongst you, my friends and family, does not become visible to strangers
Paste this on your wall for your contacts, if you care about your privacy
Thanks a ton



To all my contacts, friends, A request from me to you:
With the recent changes in FB, now, people outside of your friend list can get your updates. Just because a contact of yours makes a "comment" or "likes" in some of your activity which shows up in the stranger's "News Feed". I prefer to avoid random people contacting me and prefer that they not read and see all my comments and such.

I can no
t change this myself because Facebook has configured it this way. But you can do it for me.

1. Please place your mouse over my name above (do not click).
2. A window will appear and move the mouse on "Friends" (also without clicking), then down to "Settings".
3. Click here and a list will appear.
4. Click "Comments and Like" and it would thereby remove the CHECK.

By doing this my activity amongst my friends and my family does not become public and paste this on your wall for your contacts, if you care about your privacy. Thanks






The easy to sharing message on facebook means people just click SHARE
they rarely check and this is partly googles fault .Their recent changes which does not allow verbatim searches means most users will NEVER find out the status message is a hoax or scam and google fails to help find the relevant 
http://facecrooks.com/Internet-Safety-Privacy/hoax-alert-with-the-new-fb-timeline-on-its-way-hover-over-my-name-above-this-doesnt-work.html

The above two links are the real relevant links which help  the user know that this is a scam .


Facebook does not seem to have the system in place to notice viral share and maybe lack of staff to check these scams

http://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=2444103
http://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-security/improvements-to-our-site-integrity-systems/10151005934870766

No comments:

Post a Comment